A big surprise

A big surprise

Postby admin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Several months ago while taking lessons I learned how relatively easy it was to make even simple songs sound quite rich by adding major 7 chords to them. That was the original idea behind the song that became Raindrops and Toadstools (jazzy). But I was concerned small hands wouldn't be able to handle the 4 note chords so I decided to try to simplify the LH. The 5ths in the LH have really grown on me. To me, it sounds like the drip, drip, drip of rain at the end of the storm. I can't say I was going for this effect when I wrote it, but I am more and more pleased every time I teach it.

Pattern based enough to teach by rote, I have also been using this piece a lot with my reluctant, early and hesitant readers in particular. This seems to be a real confidence boosting piece when it comes to their reading and I have noticed several of my students greatly increase in their reading ability and confidence in a relatively short period of time after introducing several of the pieces in this book.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Raindrops and Toadstools